Get into the habit of eating a morning meal. When it comes to your diet it is important that you try and eat a proper best breakfast both in terms of calories AND nutrition. Now, all that being said, many people do not want or find it difficult to eat in the morning. This can happen for many reasons such as not being hungry, having a lot of things to do first thing (walking the dog gets you out for 10 minutes), desired weight loss and limited time in the morning.
Plodding through the day, you may feel that you scarcely have time to grab a quick bite of breakfast. While it's true that your conscious mind may lament the lack of lunch or dinner, your brain cells do their best work when fueled by something more than coffee. Here is a list of healthy on-the-go breakfasts that will replenish and energize you―and get you out the door that much faster!
Best Breakfast - Healthy recipes
Porridge for one
Serve up a warming bowl of porridge with a twist – add some fruit and seeds for extra nutrients.
Prep: 2 mins
Cook: 5 mins
Bircher muesli with apple & berries
A make-ahead bircher muesli, packed with protein and fibre, is a healthy breakfast option that's easy to make in batches.
Prep: 10 mins, plus soaking
Breakfast apple pie porridge
If you're watching your weight but don't want to miss out on pudding, try this recipe for apple pie-style porridge. It's delicious!
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 4 mins
Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon & chives
Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs are a classic combination which tastes even better with the addition of chives and crunchy toast. Easy!
Prep: 5 mins Cook: 8 mins Easy Vegan banana pancakes Whip up these easy vegan pancakes for an indulgent weekend breakfast. These fluffy American-style pancakes are perfect for topping with maple syrup or your favorite fruit. Prep: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins Easy Breakfast power smoothie A power-packed smoothie
- Blend 1 small frozen banana with 150g low-fat natural yogurt, 100ml milk and a handful of spinach leaves, then serve topped with 1tbsp sunflower seeds.
- Whisk 2 eggs with a splash of milk, add to a non-stick pan with ½tsp olive oil and stir for 2min. Serve on a slice of wholemeal toast spread with ½tbsp pesto.
- Mix 100g low-fat cottage cheese with 1 small chopped pear and spoon into a bowl. Top with 1tbsp flaked almonds and serve with an oatcake.
- Toast 8 cherry tomatoes in a non-stick frying pan, then add 2 scrambled eggs and cook until set. Serve on two slices of wholemeal toast spread with ½tsp butter each and top with rocket leaves.
- Mix 25g oats, 150ml milk, 1tbsp raisins, ¼tsp ground cinnamon and ¼tsp vanilla extract in a microwaveable bowl. Cook on high for 3min, stirring halfway through cooking time, then top with 50g blueberries.
- Mash ½ avocado on a slice of wholemeal toast spread with ½tsp butter each, then sprinkle over the juice from half.
Apple pie porridge
50ml skimmed milk
25g rolled oats
1 tsp honey
1 apple, cored and grated
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tbsp walnuts, chopped
Bring the water and milk to the boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the oats and return to the boil. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the honey and apple, then scatter with cinnamon and walnuts. Serve hot.
Porridge is a great way to start the day, as the oats release energy slowly, keeping you going until lunch. This version has added dried fruit and spices for a warming winter breakfast with a difference.
SERVES 4 (1 CUP PER SERVING)
200g/7oz porridge oats
900ml/31fl oz/scant 4 cups milk
2 tbsp raisins or sultanas
2 tbsp dried cranberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon pinch of salt
1 Grate the apple and add to a saucepan along with the porridge oats, milk, raisins or sultanas, cranberries and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 6-7 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the porridge is thick and creamy. Stir in a little more milk if necessary. Spoon into serving bowls and top each with a sprinkling of chopped nuts. Serve immediately.
Honeyed Porridge Oats
50g porridge oats
Small handful of dried cranberries
1 sliced banana
1. Stir two thirds of the dried cranberries into the porridge oats and milk while simmering (following packet instructions for specific cooking times).
2. Pour into a bowl and top with the remaining cranberries and sliced banana, and finish by drizzling over the Balloon vine honey & Squeeze.
French Toast with Banana + Honey
1 knob of butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 slices of bread
1 sliced banana
Beat the eggs, milk, and cinnamon together and whisk until blended. 2. Dip each slice of the bread into the egg mixture and make sure each slice is covered and soaks up the mixture.
Smoothie Shake with Honey
1/2 an avocado
1 tsp chocolate protein powder
200ml almond milk
Handful of frozen blueberries
Handful of frozen raspberries
1 tsp chia seeds
3 spoons of Raw Honey (Single Hive Honey
1.Place all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth.
2. If the smoothie is still too thick, add a little more almond milk and continue to blend.
3. Pour into a glass, drizzle Single HIve honey on top and garnish with a few chia seeds for decoration.
Greek Yoghurt with Raspberries, Blueberries, Kiwi, Chia Seeds, Granola + Honey
1/3 tub Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp granola
1 kiwi peeled and sliced
1/2 handful raspberries
1/2 handful blueberries
1 tbsp toasted macadamia nuts
1 tsp of chia seeds
3 spoons of Raw Honey (Black Plum Honey
1. Layer the fruit and yoghurt together in a long glass or breakfast bowl. 2. Finish with the granola, chia seeds, nuts and extra fruit and drizzle over the 3 spoons of Black Plum honey.
The big takeaway here is to simply make sure that you eat a healthy, nutritious breakfast. It may be tempting to sleep in and skip breakfast, but this can lead to excessive hunger and overeating at lunch. If you are going to go without breakfast, make sure to eat a healthy snack beforehand and drink some water first thing when you wake up. If at all possible, try adding breakfast back into your routine--I promise you'll notice a difference and will probably feel better as a result.
Read more for Best thing to eat for Breakfast - Kids to Adult